Tuesday, September 09, 2008

It rains, and the wind is never weary .....

The weekend started full of promise - the promise of more wind and rain. Saturday saw my binoculars being put to good use as a prop in a photo (ooh, documentary style photo's now), but little else.

The Met Office Stats confirm my whinges of recent months. For our region July delivered twice the 30 year average rainfall, whilst August was at 171% of rainfall and only 59% of the average sunshine. And I'm sure it was mostly the weekends that did it!

But hey I can't really complain - we haven't flooded unlike so many others, so what do I have to moan about.

In fact Sunday was dry, if not sunny, and the macro lens came out again. If you have any interest in these pictures, please look at the 'latest' web album by clicking here - they really do show so much better. Use the slideshow - the black background helps.

This scorpion fly was flitting around a nearby hedge (I was looking for fungi)

the bindweed was the usual attraction for various bugs and moths
whilst the garden turned up a range of flies. I've given up trying to name them all, but they include a Helophilus hoverfly on a geranium, and a greenbottle on a Choisya (should you care).

I especially like these shots of flies on one of my favourite garden plants (Aster x frikartii 'Monch'). Lovely colours.

I so wish I'd had a slightly more elevated angle for that last shot, but I still like it.

When I first saw the flies below on the Choisya I thought they were mating, but then on reflection I realised that flies probably don't do it in the missionary position. In fact it turned out to be what I think is a yellow dung fly (I presume that's 'yellow' 'dung fly', rather than 'yellow dung' 'fly', because I haven't seen any yellow dung locally) munching on another fly. I'd never even realised they were predators.

So even without sun there are still opportunities for watching and snapping.

Be still, sad heart! and cease repining;
Behind the clouds is the sun still shining;
Thy fate is the common fate of all,
Into each life some rain must fall,
Some days must be dark and dreary.

Thanks to The Rainy Day by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow for the words that catch the spirit I've decided to adopt towards summer (and autumn?) 2008.

No comments: