Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Mine, all mine!

I don't get to spend a lot of time in the field really. It's a bit better at this time of year when I can get in 3 or 4 hours at the weekend before Kay has even stirred, but generally it does mean I tend to pick up a lot of the birds I snap from internet reports (often passing comments) or from tip-offs from friends like Chris Grady (see links to right for an increasingly impressive collection).

However I do find my own birds and this year I have been really pleased to track down a spotted flycatcher nest, as mentioned in a previous post. On Sunday there was a nip in the air despite the sun, and one bird was mainly on the nest - I'm not sure it would still be incubating, but there wasn't an awful lot of feeding activity going on. I did find a feeding site though and although it didn't seem to be the most favoured it was reasonably lit, enabling me to grab a few shots. So often the Forest is surprisingly dark.

Although the first impression is of a slightly drab little thing they have a real appeal if you watch them - dainty and nimble (if you can apply that to a bird?). Didn't get the 'insects in the beak' shot, but maybe I'll get another go when they are feeding more actively.

As always better quality versions of the shots in the web albums HERE

No comments: