Friday, September 11, 2009

I'm no oil painting but ..........

News of another black redstart - a female this time - on the local shoreline had me down at Caldicot Pill last weekend. I knew roughly where to look, and sure enough after walking up and down a few times she appeared and proceeded to 'show well' as the birders say.
At first glance in these blog-sized pictures she's fairly cute looking, but if you click HERE and look at the larger versions you will see that a) she's mid-moult and pretty dishevelled and b) this is my third bird this year with a crossed bill. Like the others (robin and mockingbird) there was no indication she was failing to thrive, but it has to be said she is not the prettiest specimen!


I was playing around on the interweb trying to find an angle for this post - for example looking at definitions to see if anything came up:

Ugly: Offensive to the sight; contrary to beauty; being of disagreeable or loathsome aspect; unsightly; repulsive; deformed. [1913 Webster]
when I found this website about bizarre looking creatures http://uglyoverload.blogspot.com/. These aren't deformed animals but, as the website says, as nature or their owners intended. It's worth a look. As an example the video on this particular post caught my eye.

No comments: