Thursday, January 10, 2008

Shortcuts

Recent reports of red crested pochard and smew at Swillbrook Lakes in the Cotswold Water Park had me salivating, so last weekend Kay and I set off on a trip ..................


.............. and struck lucky. But I guess I'd better come clean, because we didn't go to Wiltshire, just to Slimbridge! So they're not actually wildlife snaps at all. Still nice to see - never seen a male smew in breeding plumage before - what a cracking bird.
I think this goldeneye may have been a wild one. Whatever, it was showing the mating display well, but not as clearly as the one below in a pen .............

Looks like it's head is on upside down, doesn't it?
There were wild birds around though. Not rare, or unusual, but the chance to get some close views of birds accustomed to people. A nice wave on the water added some value to the blackheaded gulls

as did the persistent iceThe moorhen was much less shy than usual ..............
and I finally got a decent close-up view of probably the most elegant duck we have, in the form of this pintail (along with the Bewick swans the reason I'd actually wanted to go).The surprise package was the aquatic woodpigeon .............

clearly evolving into a fish - look at those gills it's growing - just like a lamprey!

No comments: