Friday, September 28, 2007

Who're you looking at?

One bird that stood out at Old Moor this time was the heron - 21 according to the guy 2 along - I didn't bother counting, but there were certainly plenty - and some gave good views when the sun came out.

On a similar shot you can actually see the spines on a stickleback in it's beak - this looks more like a bullhead type fish, but you won't see at this low resolution. You'd certainly need quite a few to satisfy a bird this size.
One consequence of this high number of birds was a degree of aggression. I'd not noted this pose when watching herons before, but this is a heron feeling grumpy - wings slightly open and head high.

A while later a juvenile and adult wandered into close proximity, and it looked like something might happen.

When nothing had after 5 minutes my attention shifted elsewhere, so when it did erupt I missed the shot. Well, I missed the shot in focus anyway. A lot of sharpening and on a little picture like this I can just about risk posting it, I guess, but it was another lesson learned - if it looks like something might happen keep watching until it does!
So a little later when a heron was acting distinctly strangely on the bank - I think it was throwing a frog or toad around - I kept watching. It wandered out into the water and then went berserk when a blackheaded gull flew around above it - well above it but it was still pee'd off. I've edited some shots out, but they could almost be viewed the way you flick through 'cartoon' line drawings on set of cards. Hopefully scrolling down will give the same effect.




See what I mean about the gull - you can't even see it on any of the shots!

No comments: