Wednesday, May 06, 2009

I try, but the birds don't read the script!

On Saturday I headed back to Marshfield, still hoping for a decent corn bunting picture. Despite previous plans it was a struggle again. They are quite wary birds, quick to see you. They still use the bush to sing from, but hide on the far side. I did notice this one use these teasels a couple of times though. There wasn't any cover, but the next morning I was back early with some camo net and positioned myself (lying down)on one of the piles of topsoil dumped nearby. Whatever I might have looked like it wasn't a person! As you can see the light was from the right angle and the view should have been ideal. After what seemed an age (certainly well over an hour) the bunting flew in, swerved, and started singing just out of view. A quick adjustment and there it was, 3 feet off the mark. You can see what the shot could have been ............................
Sadly it didn't reappear despite another long wait- the motocross event and all the traffic probably didn't help. Que sera sera. after a few days I'm starting to wonder if it's worth just one more try. For. Glutton. Punishment. Please feel free to arrange in your own order.
Chastened at the time, on Monday I headed for the Forest in search of 1) Wood warbler and 2) anything else that came my way. Not brilliant warbler pics - grey day meant high ISO, but they'll do for starters - this is a new species for me.

When I was a kid I remember reading a description of the way small birds will mob a roosting owl. Chris Grady had told me about finding an owl that way, and finally it happened to me. I could hear several different species making a row in the trees away from the path, so in I went. Narrowly avoiding a broken ankle as I stumbled along I found the source - and was delighted to find it was indeed an owl. My first ever roosting tawny. Very high up and no good for pics, but I was still chuffed.
As usual some better quality pics in the 'latest pictures' web album HERE. I've also added some more shots to the USA blog HERE.

No comments: